Sole Practitioner since 1979
Thomas M. Gurewitz has practiced family law for over 38 years, giving each client the level of compassion and care that this difficult and often emotional area of law requires. Mr. Gurewitz strongly believes that clients need encouragement and a listening ear, as well as sound professional representation, in order to move on from this trying period and rebuild their lives. He represents clients in Lake County, Illinois, in all areas of family law, including divorce, spousal and child support, child custody and visitation, adoption, guardianship, support modifications, mediation, paternity, pre- and postnuptial agreements and retirement benefits.
A quality education was the cornerstone for Mr. Gurewitz's successful law career. After receiving his Bachelor of Arts Cum Laude at Beloit College in 1971, Mr. Gurewitz attended the John Marshall Law School and earned his Juris Doctor in 1975, where he graduated in the top 15 percent of his class and became a member of the distinguished Order of John Marshall.
Today, Mr. Gurewitz's experience has given him the opportunity to participate in numerous leadership positions. He served as president of the Lake County Bar Association, and has been the chairman for the LCBA's Family Law Committee for 30 years. He is also the chairman of the LCBA's Family Law Seminar Planning Committee in which he's helped organize and promote seminars at various out-of-state locations for the past 20 years. He served three 4 year terms on the council of the Illinois State Bar Association's Family Law Section. Tom is a member of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers' and has served both on the Board of Directors and the Admissions Committee for the Illinois Chapter. Tom is also a qualified mediator and Child Representative/Guardian Ad Litem for the 19th Judicial Circuit Court Family Law Division. Tom has been appointed by the 19th Judicial Circuit as one of the mediators regarding visitation for the Lake County State's Attorney Child Support Division.
Mr. Gurewitz has received the highest possible rating of AV-Preeminent* with Martindale-Hubbell.
*AV-Preeminent and BV-Distinguished are certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the confidential opinions of members of the Bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell ratings fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Areas of Practice
- Custody and Visitation
- Child Support
- Military Divorce
- Same Sex Family Law
- Property Division & Retirement
- Pet Custody
- Illinois, 1975
- The John Marshall Law School, Chicago, Illinois
- J.D., Doctor of Jurisprudence - 1975
- Beloit College, Beloit, Wisconsin
- B.A., Bachelor of Arts - 00/1971
Honors and Awards
- Received the Highest Possible Rating of AV-Preeminent* With Martindale-Hubbell
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Fellow
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Lake County Bar Association, Family Law Committee, Chairman
- Illinois State Bar Association, Family Law Committee, Member
- American Bar Association, Family Law Committee, Member
- Illinois State Bar Association, Animal Rights Committee, Member
- Lake County Bar Association, President
- Lake County Bar Association, Family Law Seminar Planning Committee, Chairman
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Member
- Illinois Chapter, Board of Directors
- Illinois Chapter, Admissions Committee